Auto trader

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Thomas Mann

Auto trader

Postby Thomas Mann » 02 Dec 2008

Hi,
I am playing with the auto trader again on the sim account from IB. When I setup my strategy and then turn on the auto trader I get a error that I have a invalid value in field # 55. I have a symbol defined in the symbol tab so I am a bit confused. Any ideas ?
Thanks

Thomas Mann

Postby Thomas Mann » 03 Dec 2008

Hi,
I think I know why I am getting this error. It seems that if you use Opentick as your feed for the algorithm and trigger points you can not then send a order to IB since the symbol at IB is different from Opentick. The reason I want to use Opentick as the trigger is because IB does not do true tick bars. Could someone from MC confirm this with the Auto Trader and see if it can be fixed possibly in the future. It should not matter what feed or symbol you use as a trigger base as long as the Auto Trader trades the symbol specified at IB.
Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Dec 2008

Dear Thomas,

Symbol dictionary has been specifically developed to plot symbols from feeds other than IB and still execute orders generated on the chart through Interactive Brokers. Symbol dictionary helps you to match the symbol on the chart to the respective symbol in IB for which trades will be actually executed. To be able to do that, you need:

a) To have not only the OpenTick symbol but also the IB symbol added in QuoteManager
b) Fill in the fields in Strategy Properties -> Auto Trading -> Interactive Brokers -> Settings -> Symbol Dictionary as follows:

Chart: should have the symbol name exactly as it appears on the chart
Underlying: underlying for the respective IB symbol (as it appears in TWS)
Exchange: the respective IB exchange
Expiration: expiration date valid for the IB symbol

Try setting up auto trading as shown above. If it still doesn't work, contact our support and they will help to set it all up for you.

Regards.

Thomas Mann

Postby Thomas Mann » 04 Dec 2008

Thanks Marina I will try it as soon as I get a chance.

Thomas Mann

Postby Thomas Mann » 04 Dec 2008

Hi Marina,
I tried the example you gave me with the same results. I have a chart with the symbol /YMZ8 on it from opentick with the EC exchange. It plots just fine so the chart is working. I added in my signal script and under auto trading, IB settings, I added the IB symbol as the only symbol in the list. When I engage auto trading I get the error # 55 and when I go back to IB settings it adds back in the opentick symbol and now I have two symbols in that list. The only thing I was unsure of is the underlying part. Where to I check that.
Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Dec 2008

Dear Thomas,

The underlying for this symbol can be checked in TWS (you'll see it if you switch to the underlying mode). From what I know, the underlying should be YM.

It sounds that some of the settings might still be incorrect. I would recommend contacting our customer support representatives on-line: this will be the fastest way to see what settings might be wrong/missing.

You could also send us a screenshot of your symbol dictionary settings - so that we could see right away if the problem is there or eslewhere.

Thank you.

Return to “MultiCharts”